Trip to Aruba

It has been a long time since I last posted here.  We have been quite busy lately and updating the site has not been my top priority.

About a month back, Sarah and I took off to Aruba for a week for my friend, Jamie's wedding.  Getting to Aruba from Seattle is a bit of a hassle, but we preserved.  The flight there wasn't too bad, from here to New York, then a short layover before flying to Aruba.  However, on the way back it was a big pain, we flew to New York, and then had an overnight layover before leaving for Seattle the next afternoon.  A quick recommendation, we flew on Jet Blue, great airline, I highly recommend them, and I have tried a lot of airlines lately.

On to Aruba, we had a really great time on the island.  Of all the islands in and around the Caribbean that we have visited, Aruba may have been the nicest.  Very clean, the people are really nice, the US dollar is used everywhere, and great food.  The water is warm and calm, it was great.  The only negative is that it is a bit expensive.

On our first day there, we had a to wait a few hours for our room to be ready so we went to wait out on the beach.  I was wearing jeans so I decided to roll them up, and then I promptly fell asleep in the sun leaving me with a sun burn across my shins and my shins only.  We had a great dinner at a Brazilian steakhouse, one of our favorite types of restaurant.

When we woke up the next morning, our ceiling was leaking water all over the floor, everything in the room, except for our stuff, was soaked.  We ended up (after they tried to clean it) moving to a little bit nicer room with a better view.  We went to the mall in the city to go shopping all day, so they spent the whole time trying to dry the room out, but it just didn't work.

The next day, I headed out for some scuba diving.  I went without Sarah, because it is pretty boring for her to sit on a boat for the afternoon while everyone else is underwater.  I expected the diving to be a bit better, it was nice, but I was expected the best I had ever done, and it wasn't.  But I did get to see a couple of cool things, I think the neatest was a few small neon gobies.  Normally I would not have cared about them, but we have one in our new fish tank, so it was kind of neat to see a small fish that we have in the tank upstairs.  While I was out diving, Sarah thought that it would be a good idea to lay out in the sun with no sunblock on.  You can guess that didn't end too well for Sarah.  She was pretty burned, it took a good week to heal, maybe a little longer.  She handled it like a trooper, but I don't think that she will be going out without sunblock on again.  That night we took a sunset catamaran cruise with everyone that had traveled there for the wedding (probably about 30 people).

The wedding itself was great, it was out on a private island, great food, a really cool private setting.

Before we knew it, our time was up and we were heading home, but not before we took one more visit to another Brazilian steakhouse before getting out of there.  On our flight to New York, a crazy lady sat down in front of us and then got kicked off the plane for telling someone to shut their baby up.  She ticked everyone off, and the airline wasn't going to take any chances of something happening mid flight, so they booted her right off, it was pretty cool.

We got to New York, and decided to head to the city since neither of us had ever been there.  It was pretty late at night already, so we just went to Times Square and walked around, and then had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe.

Great trip, it was our first vacation without the kids.  Now, we are planning another trip to Disney World to get a last good use out of our annual passes, and then I'm thinking Hawaii, since it is so easy to get there from Seattle.


baresytapas said...

I have visited this blog by accident, but I found it quite interesting. You're doing a good job (and most importantly it's free). A greeting.

Post a Comment